Select Insurance Type

Before purchasing any insurance policy, ask the agent specific questions about how the company handles issues related to the military deployment of their policyholders. Each company’s practices can vary. Compare prices and the level of service across a few different insurance providers. By shopping around, you may be able to find an insurer who specializes in needs of service members.


Before you leave on a military deployment, check your policy renewal date and payment terms with your agent to ensure your coverage will remain in effect during deployment. If necessary, you may be able to renew a policy early or have your premiums paid by automated bank draft. Some insurance companies might also allow you to suspend certain coverage while you are deployed.


To help members of the military better understand their insurance needs, the National Association of Insurance Commissioners offers tips and considerations regarding auto, home, health and life insurance.


Auto Insurance Considerations for Military

  • If you will be deployed for an extended period of time and no one will be driving your vehicle, you may be able to suspend some of your auto insurance coverage to save on premium payments. Not all states – or insurance companies – allow for coverage to be suspended.

  • If you want to suspend auto coverage, contact your agent and state insurance department for the specific laws and policy limitations applicable in your state. You may want to ask whether the following types of coverage can be suspended while you are deployed: liability, collision, uninsured/underinsured motorist, medical payments and personal injury protection (PIP).

  • If your state mandates automobile insurance coverage, you may need to file an affidavit of non-use with your state's department of motor vehicles to avoid being fined for failure to maintain insurance. If you suspend coverage, you may not be able to recover money for damage to your vehicle due to weather (i.e. hail or tornado damage), Acts of God (i.e. earthquake or flood) or acts by another individual, unless you keep the coverage known either as “comprehensive” or “other than collision” in force (i.e. vandalism or hit-and-run).